Saturday 27 September 2008

This Week's Top 5 Cuts

In no particular order...

Elliott Smith - 'New Disaster'.
This is my favourite song from the compilation album 'New Moon'. This album tracks his unreleased work between Heatmiser and the man's 3rd solo album 'Either/Or'. Frankly, how it didn't make it on to a proper release is beyond me. The meandering guitar line/melody which haunts the song is rather good and for a low-fi recording has a full bodied sound. I also managed to figure out how to play said guitar line.

Beck - 'Where it's at'.
The eagle eyed (no cherry) among you may have noticed that I purchased a deluxe copy of Beck's 'Odelay' last week. This is jam from the aforementioned record just has so much groove. I can't really describe it without saying it sounds like Beck (that Lofiamericanahiphoppsychy thing). Definitely a party tune. Well a cool kids party. "I got two turntables and a microphone".

Deal With It - 'Terrorstorm'
Deal With It are hard as hell. This number from the full length, is a stand out for me. The new record has more of a Leeway, Icemen, later Cro Mags, early 'tallica vibe to it, tastefully done I might add. Lyrically depicting the demise of the world outside backed with fat riffs this track really is a gem.

Morrissey - 'Speedway'
I love Morrissey. Possibly because I don't get laid enough. Probably because I have no time for the majority of lowest common demoninators I come into contact with. Either this song is one of Mozza's finest. I like it that much I have been listening to two versions. The one that closes the Vauxhaul and I album and the live B side to 'I just want to see...' Just listen to it. I particularly like the closing lines of 'in my own strange way, I have always been true to you'. I'm not wholly sure about the subject matter (it may be about the court case over Smiths royalties) but Moz can sculpt language like a master craftsman.


Squeeze - Pulling Mussels (from a shell)

This is a quintessentially English pop song, regaling all the fun of the seaside holiday. Best served with a 'kiss me quick, squeeze me slow' hat.
Sent using BlackBerry® from Orange

No comments: